14 June 2010

Shower.


a party given for a bestowal of presents of a specific kind, esp. such a party for a prospective
 BRIDE or prospective mother



2 Showers down, 2 more to go

To be honest, I haven't really

loved having these

"showers"

held in my honor.

Perhaps I just thought it a 

bizarre "tradition"

Different people throw me a party

Invite family, friends, neighbors

Everyone who is invited is

expected to come

bearing gifts

Some of these people I have never met

Have never spoken to

and perhaps never will again

This wasn't sitting right with me

So?

I researched it...The bridal shower, I mean.

Here is some information I found on the

origins:


The bridal shower is a custom that came about when a father disapproved of his daughter's
 marriage and refused
to provide a dowry to the couple.
Or when a poor woman's family might
 not have the money to provide a dowry for her.

The shower became the
alternative to the dowry. Supportive villagers (friends, family) would assemble and provide the bride a variety of household items for her new home.

In cases where the father disapproved of the marriage, these gifts would compensate for the dowry and allow her to marry the man of her choice.

Bridal showers were meant to
strengthen the ties between the bride and her friends, provide her moral support, and help her prepare for her marriage.
Gift giving dates from the 1890's.

http://www.beallmansion.com/weddingsandeceptions/originofbridalshowers.html


I am all about:

strengthening relationships

receiving moral support

by way of house-relevant gifts

and

Marrying the man of my choice.

I look forward to my last two showers with

new eyes.

4 comments:

Christee and Austin said...

Shae I just love you! I love the way you think! You're such a doll! Can't wait to see you at your friend shower and I really can't wait for the present I have for you! he he Love ya girlie!

Rachael said...

Wow that's a lot of bridal showers! I'm sure you're getting lots of good stuff though!

Spencer & Cara said...

So. Yeah. Just take the presents and run. Always a good plan. Love you and your brain woman. And I sure hope your not still reading water for elephants... slacker.

Kaley and Jeremy said...

How the hell did I miss this post? Pretty sure you shouldn't read my blog. It only consists of random thoughts and amateur snapshots. There is no research or deep thinking, although I do enjoy yours. Please find another blog to read.

Love,

Kaley